[APD] How do you waterlog wood?

I've got a large (3 1/2 foot long) piece of driftwood in my planted tank that I had found at a nearby river.  It would not sink, so I drilled a line of 1/4" holes along the top that reach through the center of the log, and I also had to attach two very heavy pieces of steel bar to get it to stay at the bottom of the tank.  When I put the log in the tank, a lot of air escaped out through the drilled holes.  Now, after six months, the thing is still as buoyant as the first day I put it in the tank.  Is there any way to get it waterlogged enough that I can take the steel bars off of it (they are a pain to keep hidden under the substrate!) or will it never sink?