Re: [APD] CO2 overdose

> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:25:43 -0700
> From: "Rachel Sandage" <rachelsor at hotmail_com>
> Subject: [APD] CO2 overdose
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>
> I have a mixer J CO2 reactor on my 72 gallon tank - M3 used to sell them
> but
> don't anymore, and I don't know if anybody else does. One thing I've
> noticed
> about it is there is a limit to home much CO2 it can handle at one
time -
> if
> the CO2 is turned up too high, the reactor just fills with CO2. It seems
> that at KH of 5, the reactor can't handle more than the 20-30 ppm of CO2
> which is generally recommended. I find that it gives me great peace of
> mind
> to know that if I mess up on my settings, the worse that will happen is
> reactor 1/2 filled with CO2.
>
> -Rachel

I have the same Mixer J from M3, but I have never experienced the problem
you mention.  My CO2 levels are about the same as yours, 18-32 ppm.  The
only reason I can think of that your CO2 is not dissolving would be a lack
of sufficient flow through the mixer and circulation within the mixer.  I
do know that the little holes in the input tube in the mixer that make the
water go round and round can get clogged, which affects total flow and
circulation.

John T. Fitch
www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html