[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 1,Issue 29 extinction of Cardinal Tetras

In a message dated 9/10/03 11:55:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
aquatic-plants-request at actwin_com writes:

> Message: 9
>  Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:12:11 -0400
>  From: "Karen Randall" <krandall at rdrcpa_biz>
>  Subject: [APD] Cardinal tetras
>  To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>

Karen, your reply was eloquent and very accurate. I have had Cardinals live
far past 5 years.  It brings up an issue I have often talked about and this is
what constitutes success with a fish? I once spent several long minutes
listening to a person brag about what a great marine aquarist they were and how his
queen angel fish had lived far longer than wild fish could ever live. After
listening to this for some time I asked how long did his beloved fish live. His
answer was "about a year and a half." Many other people have the mistaken idea
that fish are very short lived animals and use this belief as an excuse to
replace their fish every few months and not be concerned about the fishes
health. In many cases this myth is perpetuated by petshops so the average home
aquarist doesn't really know how long his charges should be expected to live. So
again I'll say glad to hear you tell it like it is. I do have a reason for this
reply other than "me too" and I would like to ask you and the rest of the list
about a rumor I have heard about Cardinal tetras. the rumor states that
Cardinal tetras are on the verge of extinction and are not expected to exist in the
wild more than 1 or 2 more years due to over collecting. Do you or anyone on
this list have any information about this? I would have though if cardinals
were that close to extinction they would be protected by CITES by now. Also the
rumor goes on the state that Cardinals are not bred in captivity at all but
that almost all neons are captive bred now. Is any of this correct?

Moon