[APD] RE: Tap Water to Aquarium Water

Shane Kaiser asks: "I found out that my tap water has a Total Hardness as
CaCO3 of 15 degrees dH and a pH of about 8.1.
Do I need to worry about softening the water down to about 5dH or so? I
will be stocking discus in the planted aquarium. If I do need to soften the
water, what is the best way to do this?"

If you re not interested in spawning the discus and they are not wild
caught fish then they will be fine. Are you going to run CO2? If not then
the pH may climb during the day if you have plants that can utilize
bicarbonate. I would watch out for this.

--- Eric