RE: [APD] Re: CO2 off at night

I've been reading this thread, and getting increasingly confused.

For the longest time, I always assumed it was OK to keep CO2
running for 24 hours. My fish are really important to me, so I'm trying
to be very careful about this.

Tom has advised me to increase CO2 to 20-30 ppm only when the
lights are on, and shut it off at night. I've never tried such high CO2
dosages before, and I currently can't afford a solenoid. If I left the
CO2 running at 20-30ppm during the night, could that dosage kill
my fish? From what I understand, pH swings are not the issue for
kH's at 3-5 dH. It's the lack of O2.

I can't afford a solenoid right now. Until I can, is there another way
to decrease CO2 into the tank without adjusting the needle valves
manually each night? (Needle valves are a total pain to adjust!)

For instance, can I run an airstone connected to an air pump during
the night to dissipate CO2? My tanks are 30g and 40g.

Sorry if this issue has been covered in previous posts. So much
goes on on this list, and it's sometimes hard to keep track of things.

thanks,
	shireen

Shireen Gonzaga
Baltimore, MD