Re: [APD] Re: chillers and cooling -- ofr - My Options Sort Of DriedUP

I wouldn't be surprised that it *can* work, just that it
would be a practical solution for most folks where the
ambient temp is like 90 degrees F and the desired tank temp
is less than 88 degrees F.  Getting down 5 or ten degrees F
below ambient temp is much more difficult.  Fans alone
would never do the job once the ambient temp is above the
desired tank temp.

Evap cooling can do it if you can do enough of it to lower
your tank temps *and* not lose all your CO2 by the method
you use to expose your water to evaporation *and* not steam
up your "ambience" to an undsireable level.  Very low
initial humidity, which yo note that you have, ought to
help a lot with each of these things. I haven't looked up
the figures recently but it takes a heck of a lot of
evaporation to cool a tank against a ten degree
differential.

I've always suggested trying fans first, and I mean a
simple room fan not tubeaxial fans built into your hood.
I'd suggest the room fan for just about anyone to try --
most folks have a fan around the house and if not, can get
one for about $20 at a dept, discount, or home center
store.

I'm personally much more hesitant to suggest evaporative
cooling, especially for significant heat situations. Oh,
it's an option, definitely, if you're trying to save money
rather than spend on a chiller.

I avoided chillers for a long time for several reasons, but
finally "gave in" after various attempts with fans,
lowering the ambient temp (ghastly expense!), lighting
changes, a few other things.  Then I got chillers and
learned to stop worrying and love the sun.  If the chillers
didn't work for my situation, I would have considered
evaporative cooling and all that humidity it brings.  Of
course, without low ambient humidity, evap cooling acan
still be made practical -- there are dryers and heat
exchangers and methods of ducting the moisture outside.
But, imo, at some point, it's just easier to plug in a
chiller -- in the same sense as it's easier to put hoods of
lights on my tank rather than build a skylight and bay
window.

It used to be you had to consider spending at least $800 to
get a decently made chiller and thermostat.  No longer so.

Scott H.