Re: [APD] Re: Cork backgrounds -- After popping the cork,Cooling the drink

Onc ethe amobient temp gets up to a certain point, the nly
way to kepp your water cool is to chill, either with an
earthen heat sink or pelterie type chiller or "freon" type
chiller.  There are some other more exoctic options.

I think those auto items are just peltier devices.  You can
get ones made for aquariums.  They are not very energy
efficient as chillers go but you can get small ones, and
therefore cheap ones.  And you can reverse the voltage,
usually by flipping a switch and the become heaters instead
of chillers.  Low up fornt cost, small size, work aas a
heater.  Those are the bennies.  Not practical on medium to
large scale and relatively energy inefficient.  Those are
the downers.

Near the same price as the larger peltier type chilleers is
the ViaQua chiller, if you shop around for price.  It's
only a 240 watt unit but has a well built compressor and
titantium coil.  I've been running a couple all summer
including my 150g.  No probs, no regrets.

There are other small "freon" type chillers but they tend
to cost much much more.

Scott H.