[APD] Re: too much PO4 or not enough CO2?

> Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 21:42:31 -0400
> From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
> Subject: [APD] Re: too much PO4 or not enough CO2?

> > These measurements taken in the evening about 3 days after 50%
> > water change.
> > - pH around 7.
> > - Nitrates (NO3) at 13.6 ppm.
> > - PO4 > 1ppm (my kit does not go higher than 1ppm)
> > - CO2 is around 15ppm
>
> Basic issue: CO2, CO2 and CO2.
> Not enough. The rest will fall into place if you add more CO2 for the
ENTIRE
> light period(20-30ppm).
>
> Time and time again, even the best of us get dogged by not checking this
or
> not having enough.
>
> Surface scum will even form faster/greater when less CO2 is present.
> I've seen a correlation between these two for a number of years.
>
> Not enough CO2= more surface protein/scums.
> The plants likely leak this out in sub optimal conditions and/or the extra
> CO2 drives photosynthesis faster creating more O2 that fries the
> proteins/scum.

Tom, my CO2 is at 30ppm, but I'm still getting bad surface scum; it's a
definite layer on the surface which feels soapy. The plants seems to be
producing O2 fine, with bubbles coming off. Low surface agitation to keep
CO2 in. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Poe
phlim at iinet_net.au