Re:Warning and why I'm in this hobby - or - It's a cinch to prevent leaks

Jorge Q said, in part:

> For all of you who have a cannister filter, you know that
> sage advice about putting a hole in the hose leading to
> the filter in case the water level drops? I ignored that
> advice. i went on vacation, had a non-experienced fish
> guy watch my plant and of course, got a frantic phone
> call telling me that there was only about an inch of
> water in the tank... the outflow hose (into the tank)
> somehow dislodged and got out of the tank and proceeded
> to empty out about 28 gallons on to the living room
> floor.

Putting a hole in the siphon tube won't help if the siphon
tube is the one that becomes dislodged.  Also, putting
holes near the water surface in both tube won't help if
they become clogged with the sort of biogunk that
accumulates quickly in filter tubes.  You have to remember
to keep them clean and ensure that any floating leaves
won't cover the hole should its dire responsibility come
into play.

The purpose of the holes is to minimize the amount of water
spilled -- only the water above the hole -- but not to
avoid spillage entirely.  I prefer to use good clamps on my
tubing connections -- the aim is to prevent any spillage at
all.  I've had more tank glass panel failures in 40 years
than I've had tubing joint failures -- and I've had few
panel failures.

I also prefer barbed fittings for tubing than straight
sleeves, but you have to take what you get with some
equipment.

Some tubing fits quite snuggly without using clamps -- but
I still use clamps on such fittings.  Nylon and similar
plastics, out of which much tubing is made, gets harder as
it ages and tubing that grabs a fitting today will not grab
it as well tomorrow.  A clamp helps keeps the pressure on.

Scott H.