Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #236

In a message dated 7/27/03 4:22:49 AM Central Daylight Time,

> Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:22:16 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Erin Poythress <anang3 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: mass snail-icide
>
> Hi all--
>
> Like many of you, I have more snails than I'd like.
> And I only have the round, brown yucky ones that have
> turned my frogbit into living lace-- not an MTS among
> them. I've read that Botias are good consumers of
> them, but they aren't an option for this tank (it's
> teeny). I periodically drop in a lettuce leaf and yank
> as many out later that I can, but they're
> out-competing my efforts. Yesterday at my LFS I ran
> across a bottle of Had-A-Snail, which said it doesn't
> hurt plants or fish. Regretfully, I didn't check the
> ingredients but wanted to know if anyone here has used
> it, what you think, etc. I guess I'm skeptical because
> snails are a fairly recurring topic around here and I
> thought someone might've mentioned it if it was safe
> and effective.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Erin in Atlanta

Two words. Clown Loaches. I have a 29 that had brown snails and was being
taken over by MTS. I moved 2 clown loches from one of my tanks into it and within
a day evry visible sign of snails was gone.

                Gerry Skau
                All The World's A Stage, But The Play Is Badly Cast---Oscar
Wilde

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---