[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Setting up a planted discus tank
- To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
- Subject: Setting up a planted discus tank
- From: "Shane Kaiser" <shanek at sbcglobal_net>
- Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:53:42 -0700
- Importance: Normal
I am in the process of trying to get a planted discus tank going. I haven't
bought any equipment yet as I am researching on what to buy. Things I am
thinking about are:
1) Size of tank: probably a tank from 55 to 75 gallons. What are the
best dimensions of the tank?
2) CO2 system: what kind of system should I consider...brand, etc
3) Undergravel heater system: is Dupla the way to go here?
4) Substrate: what's a better substrate to go with? Laterite or
5) Lighting: Is the compact florescent lighting the best solution? Metal
Halide? Mercury Vapor?
6) Filtering: what kind of filter should I consider? Eheim canister?
Wet/ Dry? Etc...
7) Electronic controllers for pH, temp, oxygen, etc: are these devices
8) What plants should I only consider for this discus tank?
9) How many discus should I get?
These are some of the things I am contemplating about. I haven't been in the
aquarium hobby for about 10 years so I am trying to catch up on what the
latest stuff can do for me. I used to have a few bare bottom discus tanks 10
years ago. I have never had a live planted aquarium. Anybody have any ideas
on the above? Have any good recommendations / good experiences that might
help me determine what equipment I should get?
--- StripMime Report -- processed MIME parts ---