Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #228

At 04:41 AM 7/19/2003 -0400, you wrote:

Well I disagree with you. I like ulvaceus very much. I don't think its too
big for anything above 55 gallons. Aponogeton bovinianus is about the same
size, and most other Aponogetons have leaves just as long. Most sword plants
will outgrow even very large tanks eventually. Crinums can grow leaves three
or four feet long with massive root systems. Some Vals get two or three feet
long. Giant hairgrass a couple feet or more, there are some very large
Anubias species. Tiger lotus would probably be too big by your standards.

I'm not saying I dislike the Ulvaceus...it's a very beautiful plant! It's just a little overpowering for my aquarium, it seems...I am going to keep it, but I guess I will just have to prune it frequently. I have had Jungle Val...it grew out of the tank, but, clipping it kept it under control well enough. Tiger lotus has not fared well in any of my tanks...even in my 10 gallon with 4-5 watts per gallon, so, I cannot give you my feelings on it. The anubias barteri I have is getting large, but, it is creeping slowly over a piece of driftwood so it doesn't look bad at all....not to mention it's flowering :).