Re: Potamageton species information

Paul Wrote:

> I have another species of Potamogeton that I got from John Glaeser of
> the Madison (Wisconsin) Aquarium Gardeners Club.  He got it from a
> lake in southeastern Wisconsin.  It produces no floating leaves and
> has narrow translucent leaves with wavy edges.  It looks like a cross
> between P. perfoliatus and Najas.  Its leaves are longer and narrower
> than those of perfoliatus, and its stems are much thinner.  Like
> perfoliatus, it spreads rapidly, given decent lighting.  It is a
> nice-looking plant, and is smaller and more delicate than many of the
> other Potamogetons.  I have it confined to a gallon jar on the
> windowsill,now, but it can be multiplied quickly.

Paul,

I live in Michigan (which I estimate has similar flora and fauna to
Wisconsin) and I believe I know what species you're talking about.  Michigan has about
10 or 15 different Potamageton species, and I have collected here Potamageton
crispus and Potamageton richardsonii, both of which look a lot like what
you're describing.  The lake I collected these from had a real algae problem due to
fertilizer runoff from the farms a few miles away, and the internodes on the
plants I collected were very long.  The stems of both species are very
delicate, and the leaves are translucent and undulate.  The ones I collected were
greenish brown in color, but the color and translucent blades highly resembled
those of Aponogeton ulvaceus when I nursed them back to health.  I'm always
seeking positive IDs on North American aquatic plants.

Here's a URL with line drawings of the two species:
http://www.deq.state.mi.us/documents/deq-lwm-inlandlakes-commonplants.pdf

Hope that helps you with the ID,
Brian Rippon

multipart/alternative