Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #219

In a message dated 7/10/2003 4:38:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

> Subject: Java fern melt
>
> First I did a blackout while on vacation, then broken air conditioning
> required lights off (but not full blackout) for a few days to keep tank
> temps to >85 degrees, and now my lush Java Fern backdrop is turning brown
> and disintegrating en masse.  Does this sound like a response to the light
> and temp stress, that should resolve now that air conditioner and lights
> are back on, or something more sinister?  The other plants have done ok,
> although the riccia thinned significantly.
>
> - --diane in st. louis

Some other things to look at are how thickly entangled the rhizome system is
and what your nutrient levels are. I've seen java fern do this twice, once was
(I beleive) overgrowth/not pruning and the other may have been a combination
of not pruning/not enough water changes/medication.

-Z-

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---