Re: Sump CO2 help

(Bob Wrote)
------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 03:50:55 EDT
From: ROlesen104 at aol_com
Subject: Sump CO2 help

OK,

I'm buying the final components for my new 150 gal plant tank and have
decided on using the sump system -- more for hiding the equipment than
filtration.
I'm probably going with the Iwaki MD 30RLT (Japanese model) external mount as
the pump because I have an idea that the CO2 reactor could then be added as a
"canister" type configuration with bio-balls, etc., for added turbulence,
which
I believe this pump could handle and empty quite easily.

It seems to my that all the DIY reactors (like I'm building) run with dinky
little submersible pumps tend to fill with too much CO2 and not generate
enough
turbulence for a long-term mixing. I want all the equipment and hardware out
of site and intend using an underwater spray bar laid along/under the
substrate within the tank for return flow. While the RXLT models of Iwaki
have a
higher head and flow rate -- this model should provide enough back pressure
empty both a CO2 reactor and UV sterilizer should the need arise. At 540 gal
per
hour, this should still give me plenty of circulation and turn over, no?

Anyone had any experience with this model pump or with what I propose doing.
The only part I haven't quite worked out yet is the securest connection to
the
CO2 reactor from the CO2 line. With the anticipated pressure within the
reactor - I don't want any leaks from the connection between the two or water
forced up the CO2 line.

Thanks for any comments or criticism of my ideas.

Bob Olesen in West Palm Beach

Hi Bob,

Sounds like you and I have much the same project going on. I am setting up an
Oceanic 240 gallon tank as soon as I move to my new house the end of this
month. My tank is Reef Ready, and I am using a sump, the Oceanic Series 3, great
for a planted tank application, and an external pump, like you.

I did a lot of research and was going to use an Iwaki (Japanese motor) until
I found out from 5 different people, including a large aquarium supply
distributor in this area, that while of good quality and reliable, Iwaki pumps are
loud and can be annoying if your tank is in an area that has high traffic. There
have been complaints about the noise associated with these pumps recently,
per the LFS I do business with.

I finally decided on the Dolphin Aqua Sea 2100. This is a low RPM unit that
draws less than 1 amp of electricity and has a great flow rate and can be
throttled down with a ball valve on the output side without any harm to the pump.
This pump also has a very low heat transfer rates. The lower the RPM, the lower
the heat transfer. These are some of the most quiet pumps on the market
today. If you also order the pump pad you don't have to screw it down to the stand
and you won't be able to tell it is running. Their URL is
www.dolphinpumps.com. They are made in your home state, I believe.

I ordered my pump thru Marine Depot, a reputable salt water/reef supply
place: www.marinedepot.com. I should have it by Friday.

I am going to try injecting into the intake of the return pump in this new
setup. I found a great little gadget for this from Automated Aquariums,
URL www.automatedaquariums.com. It is their CO2 atomizer, the URL for it is
www.automatedaquariums.com/aas_co2.htm.

This is an adjustable atomizer that sits inside a threaded by slip PVC tee
that you can put on the inside of the bulkhead fitting for the return pump. Gas
gets broken up by the atomizer, then chopped up more by the pump, then has to
go thru several feet of return tubing which is further divided in your return,
if you are Reef Ready.

I've never used this for CO2 injection before so I don't know how effective
it is, but it is a slick setup and not expensive to try.

Dave

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---