Questions about research possibilities...

Hello all,

In anticipation of acceptance into one of the local universities this fall I'm trying to gather some information on the viability of some research I'm hoping to do. Being a Crypt Fiend I'm hoping to focus my research on that genus. Being somewhat sensible I also know that a LOT of research has already gone into them.

My situation's a little different than most students. I'll be going back as a Post-Bac student for a second degree (No Gen Eds, woo hoo!) with aspirations of combining my core BS studies with Masters work.
As an undergrad I want to do a study on how light (intensity, spectrum, etc) and nutrition (levels and delivery of nutrients) affect the physiology and morphology of both emersed and submersed grown crypts. I'm hoping to focus any possible graduate work on tissue culture techniques for commercial application.

How much study has gone into these topics? Is there still room for new research or are they pretty much completely figured out?

My thanks for your response,
Phil Edwards

In warm, moist Charlotte, NC where Bill is headed next.