[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Tom Barr 3 Day Blackout-Update
- To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
- Subject: Tom Barr 3 Day Blackout-Update
- From: Dave Millman <dave at tactics_com>
- Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 14:23:37 -0700
The story so far:
Last week I blacked out my tank for 3.5 days to mitigate a severe algae
breakout, caused when I accidentally unearthed a number of fragmentary
* All the BGA algae (cyanobacteria) disappeared completely, like magic.
I was literally unable to find a single patch. The blackout was totally
successful in eliminating this stuff.
* Thick, slimy green hair algae on the glass and cotton candy algae on
large plant leaves disappeared almost completely. What little remained
wiped off easily during the post-blackout water change.
* BBA was significantly diminished, but not eliminated. Lots of tufts
had fallen to the gravel, or were easily vacuumed from the hair grass.
Lots more remained.
* Greenwater was the least impacted. The tank looked like pea soup
at the start of the blackout-visibility was less than 2 inches.
Immediately after the blackout, the water was slightly cloudy yellow,
but you could see every corner of the tank. Three days later, the tank
was pea soup again. This was disappointing, as I ran a micron filter
in my Magnum during the blackout in hopes of eliminating this stuff.
The plants and fish survived the blackout OK. They looked dazed on the
morning of first light, but looked normal by the next day. Three fish did
not make it-unfortunately a pair of gold rams and a solo apisto female (all
cichlids?!?) But the Cardinals, Rummynose, Corydoras, SAEs, Ottos, Angels,
Ancistrus and loaches all look good. Plants haven't grown, but they look
healthy and do not have algae coats for the most part.
Tonight I am picking up some live Daphnia from Jim Atchinson of The Bug
Farm at the PCCA meeting. I plan to cultivate these in breeder nets in the
tank to eat the pea soup. I will also continue weekly large water changes,
perhaps more often if time allows.
Any other suggestions?