additive alphabet soup

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I couldn't quite dig up the right posts during my search. Once again, I turn to this most gracious and knowledgable group of folks for assistance!

What exactly are you getting out of the common additives, such as those Tom Barr recommends? For example(s):

potassium nitrate (KNO3) gives you nitrate, which gives the plants nitrogen, correct?

potassium sulphate (K2SO4) gives you potassium?

magnesium sulphate (MgSO4) gives you magnesium?

If my above assumptions are correct, then it seems using products like Seachem Flourish Potassium and Flourish Nitrogen could take the place of the KNO3 and K2SO4, right? I'm only trying to fully understand how everything works. I specifically mention the Seachem line of products because my LFS happens to carry them. So in a pinch, if I can't find the cheaper alternatives it should be perfectly reasonable (price not withstanding) to pop down to the LFS and pick up the Flourish products, right?
-joe