Re: Cables, the debate Replies from George Booth

The text below is being posted for George Booth, of whom
not only is his existence suspect, but even that of his
computer .  I didn't edit, revise, or othewise change it,
except that, during copy/paste, the emailer word wrap might
have beat the heck out out it's visual symmetry.== ===Scott
Hieber wrote:> But heating cables won't> work (literally)
on that one tank during about 4-7 months> of the year,
depending on weather.  And the other tanks> don't really
*need* any heaters during the warmer months.Granted, not
being on at all for half the year negates the value of the
cables. But isn't having an air-conditoned fish room (or
house, in my case) part of the whole high-tech planted tank
regimen? <g>However, some peple seem to think that the
cables should be on ALL the time. This is NOT true. If the
cable was on all the time, the substrate would heat up
uniformly and you would not have any heat gradients in the
substrate, thus no convection currents. You would then
effectively have an expensive reptile heater.   Cables
should cycle on and off to maintain the mythical