Re: Check valves

> I recently replaced my external CO2 reactor with an Aqualine Buschke
> internal which is driven by a Mini-Jet 404 on the next to the lowest
> setting.  Much to my horror, sometime after the controller closed the CO2
> solenoid, I found a puddle under my bubble counter (Aquamedic).  This
> stopped after I put a cheap check valve inline near the reactor.
> Unfortunately, after the check valve filled with water, the CO2 had a
> difficult time forcing it back out and I had to crank the bubble count to
> ridiculous amounts to get CO2 into the reactor.  So then I replaced the
> bubble counter with a Knop which has a Dennerle check valve built into the
> bottom (input) of it and removed the check valve by the reactor. FWIW, NEVER
> remove a check valve until everything else is hooked up, talk about an
> impromptu water change :)
>
> So this brings me to the current setup.  Regulator - Dennerle check valve -
> Knop bubble counter with Dennerle - reactor.
>
> This seems to work beautifully but I already had a Dennerle inline between
> the regulator and bubble counter.  Are two Dennerle's inline going to cause
> undue pressure or problems?  It seems to work fine thus far.
>
> Daphne

I am curious, why would you use an internal reactor vs and external?
I am familiar with the their internals and many folks do not care for them.

All these little devices add up cost and can cause issues with the other
equipment. Some folks like their automated high techy stuff, I went through
my phase some years back but have been simplifying ever since.

My set ups don't need controllers(Maintains the same pH with or without),
solenoids(Something to break, stick and change the pressure), check
valves(no need to explain there), bubble counter is optional(see below).

I have never used nor needed a check valve to date on my CO2 set ups.
If you use a power head for any CO2 reactor, feed the CO2 into the suction
side of the pump. This causes no back pressure... and hence no reason to
have a check valve which offers more resistance to CO2 flow.

Think about resistance to low pressure gas flow like that in these CO2 check
valves.

This valve either needs to be of very high quality(Not expensive, just darn
good) or engineered out of the set up.

Guy at Albany Aquarium has the cheapest+best bubble counter I've seen to
date, about 6.99 or so and easy to refill and the right size. For less than
7$, it's likely worth it to many folks.

As far as reactors go, I've been suggesting to folks for many years to fed
the CO2 into the pumps, no solenoids, controllers, other techy unneeded
items.

The higher the complexity, the higher the cost and good old Murphy has his
way. Sometimes you get what you pay for but figuring out a way completely
around it solves more of the problem.

A good internal is the Plantguild reactor and the Vortex do-hicky. Nicer
updated versions of what I have produced a few years back which was a
modified Gravel Vac off the krib.

Regards,
TomBarr