Price of substrate heating

Why do all the websites seem to suggest that substrate heating is expensive? I live in the UK and can buy a Rena Cor heating coil for the aquarium, vivarium or terrarium for a less than £35 even for over 80 UK gallons (96 US gallons).
(Price for illustration purposes from www.aquatics-online.co.uk

Rena Cor 15w 3.5 m  11 ft
30 - 50 cm x 50 cm
1 to 2 x 2 ft 50 - 100 ltr      10 - 22 UK gals (12 - 26 US gallons)
£15.25 (approx $24.98)

RenaCor 25w 4.5 m 15 ft
30 - 50 cm x 1 m
1 to 2 x 3 ft 100 - 200 ltr    22 - 45 UK gals (26 - 54 US gallons)
£19.85 (approx $32.52)

Rena Cor 50w  8 m  26 ft 50 -100 cm x 1 m
2 to 3 x 3 ft 200 - 350 ltr    45 - 80 UK gals (54 - 96 US gallons)
£21.99 (approx $36.02)

Rena Cor 100w 15 m 50 ft
over 1 m x 1 m
over 3 x 3 ft over 350 ltr over 80 UK gals (96 US gallons)
£33.99 (approx $55.68)

It could be something to do with the fact they use sealed 240V cables instead of an expensive transformer and low voltage cables. The risk of electrocution is negligble, really, especially if you you a power breaker.
(I think US plugs are stupidly designed anyway, like most of the rest of the world. There's just not enough brass. UK plugs are must harder to pull out and are overdesigned. End of entirely random rant. Sorry. And why no proper earth terminal?)

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk