My ugly powerhead

Setting up my first plant tank, I purchased a Rio 2100 to feed a Reactor
1000. I have two Eheim 2224s which did not supply the minimum g/hr for the
reactor, so I got the powerhead to drive the CO2 system. I originally
planned on putting the powerhead in my sump tank and let it return through
the reactor, but the LFS guy said that I should ditch the sump because the
overflow process would cause too much CO2 loss.

So, what do I do with my butt-ugly powerhead? Is there really too much CO2
loss with an overflow/sump? If so, what is the best and most plant friendly
way to hide this gargantuan eyesore?  It seems like it has a fair amount of
pull so I would be nervous about planting anything too close to it.

Anybody know of any powerhead placement pics? I am also looking for an
optimum and plant-friendly way to structure the return.

Thanks

Chris