Re:weed control and herbicides

Time for some stupid questions....

Being totally ignorant about algae and unwanted plants in natural waterways,
I'm asking myself what is causing the problem in the first place. Is it
fertilizers and other contaminants that we are dumping into the waters or
letting leach into water ways that are the cause of these problems? Is it
native plants/algae being introduced into eco systems where they would
otherwise not occur naturally? I'm sure  it's not a natural occurance right?
Is it too expensive or too late to do anything about fixing the source of
the problem rather than resort to temporary solutions which some sound
nearly as bad as the problem itself?

Regards
Giancarlo Podio