Re: Using Coal Slag as a Substrate

Rod R. wrote:

Has anyone used coal slag (sandblasting grade) as a substrate?  It appears
to be more coarse than silica sand and according to the manufacturer has a
neutral pH.  I like the color and was wanting to use it in combination with
laterite in a planted aquarium.  I know that Seachem's flourite is highly
rated but am searching for a lower cost alternative.

I've not tried it myself, but I think there's some discussion of it filed away on the Krib:

http://www.thekrib.com

Check under the substrates section. I think Black Beauty was one brand mentioned. It's been awhile....
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee