re: Do substrates get any respect?

I've been growing all my plants in plain aquarium gravel with great success.
(I plan to buy some Flourite in the near future to try.) From what I have
learned in the past, if your substrate is rich in nutrients, it will make
it's way into the water column. With dosing ferts, you can control with
precision how much nutrient goes into the tank, but with a nutrient rich
substrate how can you control the release into the water column?

-Travis