Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #122

Gerry Skau asked why I had bought a hundred or so SAEs over the years.

Initially I bought thirty and lost quite a few due to starvation.
This taught me that it was necessary to feed young SAEs some flake
in addition to the the black brush algae available in the tank.

SAEs require a fairly high level of oxygen in the water.  Sometimes
a tank will become overcrowded with plants. On several occasions
when the tank has been covered, this has resulted in asphiciation
in the early hours of the morning when the plants are consuming
all of the oxygen. I've never lost a SAE to disease or old age,
just oxygen deprivation.

About twenty are always kept available for cleanup in eight tanks.
Most of the tanks are uncovered, and occasionally one finds a jumper
on the floor.