Re: Marine planted tanks

> I didn't know algae was "useful"
>or "required" in a saltwater tank nor did I know that there are
>salt water
>plants I could keep.

They are extremely useful, ask anyone that uses a Refugium/Leng
style set up. Macro algae are not required though for SW tanks.
But it'd be mainly a critter tank and not a "plant tank" then.

A number of folks want to make that distinction that a macro
algae SW tank is not a planted tank and hence off topic but I
think salinity has nothing to do with it.There are flowering
plants in SW as well, not just macroalgae. Are algae Cladophora
balls off topic here as well?

I suppose I should say "there's a Freshwater bias on this list
maintained by elitist of the APD" or something along them
lines:-)

If the focus is leafy things with Chl a, it's fair game.
Again, it depends on your goal.

> I don't mind doing the water changes, >after all I do
>them weekly on the freshwater tanks so that should not be a
>problem. I think
>I will have to join a salt water group, I have too many
>questions to ask :-)

Well, there's a little info on Caulerpa etc.. Few folks do
macros/seagrasses exclusively. But there are a few folks and few
articles out there.

>.....soooo, what kind of salt water plants are there? I've
>never seen any
>for sale

Caulerpa and Halimeda are main ones you may see for sale.
There are well over 300+ suitable species and perhaps 30
flowering plants, perhaps even more.
I am next to the Caribbean so I get my macroalgae there. We have
about 60 species around the Keys and 5-6 species of flowering
plants.

Few are offered for sale, there's this Coral bias over in the SW
groups:-)
You might be able to get some species from some folks or trade.

Macro algae does not transplant or travel very well FWIW.

>I promise that was the last salty question. Thanks for the
info!
>Giancarlo Podio

Well you can come down for the FW field trip and then head on
down to the Keys/reefs and get yourself some macro algae.

I have been happy with mine and can show you were to buy some
good substrate for these tanks for about 2.50$ for 50lb bags
also.

Sell your weeds back to the LFS for Salt or other supplies.
Good lighting is needed though, PC's fit the bill nicely.

Regards,
Tom Barr