[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: LFS vs APD wisdom
- To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
- Subject: Re: LFS vs APD wisdom
- From: Roger Miller <roger at spinn_net>
- Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 06:45:00 -0600
- In-reply-to: <200305081118.h48BIiMt013857@otter.actwin.com>
- References: <200305081118.h48BIiMt013857@otter.actwin.com>
On Thursday 08 May 2003 05:18, you wrote:
Kirk Melton wrote:
> I was wondering if by using an airpump if you are putting CO2 into the
> water as well as O2, since atmospheric air has a higher level of CO2 than
> an aquarium with no CO2 injection?
Aeration moderates CO2 at a low level. During the day when the plants are
using CO2 the air pump will add CO2 to the water and (if the light isn't too
bright) prevent the concentration from going to zero. During the night it
would release the CO2 generated by respiration in the tank.
It would be possible to turn aeration off at night and allow the CO2 to build
up till morning, then turn the aeration back on at mid-day.