Re: Crawling Cabomba

* From: "Matt & Linda Crocker" <crockerm at peak_org>

I recently took some cabomba out of my established 75g tank with 192 watts and co2 injection, and planted a few stems into my fairly new 75g with 256 watts and co2 injected. In the newer tank with more light the cabomba did something completely different, it has crawled across the bottom from where it was planted clear to the front glass sending up stems along the way. I really like the look, but have never seen this happen before.

Is it common for this plant to act this way?

Many stem plants do this when given plenty of light and room. It is a "take-over" strategy that corrals as much real estate as possible. Open real estate does not last long. The usual strategy is to send prostrate runners in all directions. Runners that have side branches or that fork into two branches every now and then are the most efficient at gobbling up territory.
--
Paul Krombholz in steamy central Mississippi where you know it is humid when the outsides of the windows fog up.