Re: Unidentified NC native plant

Nick described a plant he found in Carteret county:

...I also found a green plant that I initially thought was a different color
of Ludwigia, because it was growing among the red stuff and had very
similar leaves.  On closer inspection, though, I see that the leaves are
alternate rather than paired like the Ludwigia leaves.

Is there a common eastern U.S. aquatic species that fits this (admittedly
vague) description?  Since it had recently rained heavily, I suppose this
could be a terrestrial species that was temporarily submerged, but it was
definitely growing in the same locations as the Ludwigia and Proserpinaca.

My guess would be that it's a member of the Polygonum genus. Several species are very common around here. You may be able to find a photo for rough matching through a Web search.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee