Re: Flourite as a substrate for Corydoras catfish?

Cheryl Trine asked about Flourite with cory cats and
substitute substrates.   I wouldn't get Flourite merely for
cory cats, but if you want to use it for a planted tank
with cories, there shouldn't be any problems.

Cories in Flourite tanks seem to do just fine.  I have some
going on three years without any problems.

Some of the cats do seem to wear their barbels down a bit,
but I've noticed that with other substrates too and truth
is the substrates might not be the reason.

A nice alternative to Flourite is Onyx Sand -- still a
fractured clay product but much smaller grain and very
light so the barbels should be able to move around in it
easily.

A new product called Eco-Complete from Carib Sea is worth
considering if you like a dark grey substrate -- it has
virtually no dust and tends to be more rounded than Onyx
bits.

Try not to use the epoxy coated gravel like Estes or
Topfin.  Although these will work (for cories and plants),
they don't seem to work as well for palnts as the porous
stuff like those mentioned above.

Good luck,
Scott H.