[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: aerial roots
- To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
- Subject: Re: aerial roots
- From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
- Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:03:42 -0400
- In-reply-to: <200303181123.h2IBNCNo027323@otter.actwin.com>
- User-agent: Microsoft-Outlook-Express-Macintosh-Edition/5.02.2022
> Thanks for your easily understood response, Giancarlo. If I'm interpreting
> this correctly, it sounds as though root fertilization might -- big might
> there -- reduce the number of "aerial" roots. I consider some, but not all,
> of them to be unsightly.
I think it's more likely a response to needing more O2 for root respiration.
Much like Cypress knees in swamps or Mangrove roots' allowing O2 for root
respiration. A number of wetland plants do this.
There's no source of O2 down in the wetland substrates.