Re: E. Stellata & Willow hygro (Rachel's tank)

Rachel wrote:

Here's the deal: my E. stellata is growing gangbusters,
although it is very green, not the nice pink. It grows
and grows. But both my willow hygro and E. diversifolia
are growing these stunted, crumpled, deformed leaves,
and the older leaved on the willow hygro get a brownish
tint. The A. reineckii has completely stalled.

Here's the tank params: 72 gallon bowfront, 220W PCF
light, canister CO2. KH=GH=4.5, from addition of baking
soda and Flourish Equilibrium. PH=6.8. 75% water changes
weekly, with massive pruning to remove BBA. Add at water
change & midweek 1/2t KNO3, 1/16t KH2PO4, 15ml Flourish.
I am not adding any other K because the Equilibrium has a
hunk of K in it. Also mega-dosing before water change with
1t KNO3, 1/8t KH2PO4.

What's missing? What's overdosed? What is going on?

Anecdote alert!

Back some time ago, I was having difficulty with distorted growth in some
plants despite the fact that I was dosing nutrients within accepted ranges.
Everything I read pointed to calcium deficiency, but that seemed illogical
given that my tap water has about 130-140ppm hardness on average (~7-8
dGH) and a near perfect ratio of Ca to Mg. I flip-flopped around trying different
additives in differing amounts, but to nip a long story in the bud, it turned out
to be a lack of iron that was causing the screwy growth. I'd been depending
on Flourish and Flourite to provide iron, but it apparently wasn't enough
for some plants. Adding an extra squirt or two of iron -- 0.1ppm or so -- in
between doses of Flourish seems to have corrected things.

So, you might want to try boosting Fe for a few weeks and see if things
improve.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee