Re: 1250liter an hr in a Dupla Reaktor

Greger wrote:

> Some weeks back I was told that I needed to push at least 1000 Litres
/hr thru my Dupla
> Reaktor S in order to ensure the CO2 is always at the correct level to
maintain the Ph level
> steady.
>
> /Greger

Tom Barr's response:

> > In spite of the much more powerful pumphead, I have the same flow of
water out
> > of the CO2 reaktor.
> > Is there an explanation to this?
> > To me it is an hydrological mystery without any logic in it.
> > How DO you push a thousand litres thru the reaktor?
> > /Greger
>
> Fill it completely with water?
> No gas in there when it starts?
>
> Is it in the tank?
> You've cleaned the unit good?
>
> I recall the in/outlets are rather small and dinky. I think they were
about
> 3/8" or 1cm etc.

The 8 mm Greger mentioned is ~ 5/16".

> That might be why but you still should have some more flow with a
large
> capacity pump.

My rough flow calculations (never trust my math since I started using a
calculator and a spreadsheet some time back) came up with a little less
than 23 ft/sec - a pretty low flow velocity to cause problems due to the
outlets.  It must be something inside.

I posted some time ago with a question kind of related to this but
perhaps I asked it the wrong way.  I probably should have said:  How
does one size a CO2 reactor to a particular aquarium size and then how
do you determine the appropriate H2O flow rate through said reactor?

Greger, where did you hear the 1000 L/hr figure you mentioned?

BTW - does anyone know what happened to Spectrum Design Plastics?

Thanks
Charles