Re: reintroduction

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:14:05 -0400
> From: Shireen Gonzaga <whimbrel at comcast_net>
> Subject: Re: reintroduction
>
> Or maybe I don't want to accept what they're saying
> because, if they're right, our environment is in much
> much worse shape than I thought.

another (and somewhat more heartening) interpretation
would be that the environment is far more stable and
resilient than you thought.  that, of course, isn't a
blank check to beat on natural environments endlessly --
every rubber band has its snapping point; but neither is
the environment (to the extent that all the various
habitats and ecosystems can be lumped together into
one abstraction) the likes of a soap bubble that will
disappear on the slightest contact.

> We're losing the
> uniqueness of each little habitat. To quote James
> Carlton, it's  a process of "homogenizing the world".
> There are no words to describe the depth of that loss
> of biodiversity.

you may mean heterogeneity of ecosystems rather than
biodiversity (which usually refers to the variety of
species in a particular ecosystem).

>  > Bird Foot Fetish!
>  > Do you like the Blue Footed Booby? Is it your favorite?
>
> They're funny birds with really weird mating rituals. As
> far as fetishes go, I'm a bill girl. Long decurved bill like
> the whimbrel, my favorite bird!
>
> Living with my delusions....

hrm...  anyone ever make a combination aviary/paludarium?
just how big of a mini-ecosystem has anyone on here
engineered/put together? :)

cheers,
-david