Re: Pond snail q's - pic of leaf

* From: Naomi Mizumoto <naomizu at mac_com>

Back with the same question and a link to a photo.

http://photos.yahoo.com/mizmo_naomi

It was taken before the problem got out of hand, but you can see the leaf on the stem in the upper-left-hand area - it has the two holes. Now there are many more holes and the transparent specks on almost every leaf on every stem. Does it look like the evil-doings of a pond snail or can a deficiency alone cause this?

I'm so sorry if I'm being pesky-persistent, but this is my new "favorite plant" and I'm worried after what happened with my old "favorite plant." Thanks for any help/advice you can send my way...

-Naomi

If we are talking about genus Physa pond snails, they are the most inoffensive of aquarium snails. They have mouthparts designed for feeding on soft bacterial and algal films and can't scrape tough algae. Ramshorns occasionally damage plants, but Physa---never. There may be plant-eating snail genera that look like Physa.

I have only had a little experience with Lysimachia, but I have seen a lot of the lower leaves die back when I let the CO2 levels lapse for a while. The plants in your picture look a little pale. Could they have iron deficiency?
--
Paul Krombholz in sunny central Mississippi