RE: float valves

Rik,

I used to fill a water container by using a lawn irrigation timer instead
of a float valve. This device was battery operated and attached to the hose
bib. I timed how long it took to fill the container and set the manual
watering period to that value. I Didn't need the automatic watering feature
so I kept it turned off.  It cost about $35 and it lasted  a couple of
years under continuous use. This may be an option if you can't find a float
valve to fit your container.

--- Eric