Re: CP for 90 gallon plant tank

Hi Scott,

I may be wrong but if you don't want to get into CO2 and fertilizers then
you probably want to stay under 2 watts per gallon. I've always had low
light planted tanks and they were usually around 1.5wpg of standard
flourescent lighting. When I moved up to stronger lighting I found that
fertilization and CO2 was not optional, without it the only thing I was
growing was algae. I would think 3 or 4 x 40W T12 tubes or 2 x 55W or 96W CF
tubes would be sufficient for a low-medium light, no CO2 tank. Regarding the
tubes, I use a mixture of 6500K and 10000K (more 65000K than 10000K), if you
are going to have only one tube on each side then you probably want to go
with the lower 65000K. I have found that my CF setup does need cooling but
the standard T12 tubes are fine with just convectional cooling by way of
some air vents.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio