Flourish Excel vs. CO2

A month or two ago I wondered on the list whether there was a relationship
between the short lifespan of fish in some of my tanks & Flourish Excel. I
have since stopped using the Excel (I switched to the Hagen Plant-Gro CO2
Natural system; what a fun product!), and have not lost any fish since that
time. In one tank, all the fish were new types, but in the other it was the
same old tiger barbs which previously had died after 2-3 weeks in the tank.

I am still wondering if anyone else has seen this relationship?

-Rachel