Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #110

Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 11:14:51 -0800
From: "dilvish" <dilvish at pacbell_net>
Subject: 15gal setup recommendations

About a year and a half ago, when we knew absolutely
nothing about
raising
either fish or submerged plants, we purchased a 15gal
Eclipse,
recommended
by a lfs. In terms of plants, this was a complete
disaster. The fish
survived okay, but just about everything else that
didn't swim never
lasted
more than a few days.

Now, since our 6 month old 50gal is doing so well, I'd
like to start
again
with this 15gal.  I'm assuming that our problems were
from the
bio-wheel,
which made the water way too oxygenated and removed
all traces of CO2
(not
that we knew any of this then). I believe the lights
weren't sufficient
either. (and fish load.. I think we did just about
everything wrong)

What would you guys recommend in terms of filters,
etc. for a small
tank? (I
have a couple of yeast/sugar CO2 cannisters that
deliver the CO2 via a
tube
& ladder mounted inside the tank.)  Are there any
distinct differences
in
the chemistry or cycling of a small tank as opposed to
a large one?
Thanks
in advance.

Just an idea on the bio-wheel.  I put a plastic sheet
cut to fit over the front of my marineland 330
duel-bio wheel and it cuts surface agitation down to
next to nothing and doesn't interfere with the
operation of the biowheel so you may be able to keep
the same filter.  It seems my DIY CO2 is booming   My
amazon sword just gave me 8 babies.

Doug