growing Lobelia cardinalis

Picked some up at LFS yesterday, and having never
grown it before and hopped online to learn a little
more. Every site recommended CO2 injection and
ultra-bright light to get it to thrive. Having neither
of these, and having found information that
contradicts my own experience in the past, I'm
wondering A) what the plant guy was thinking who sold
it to me, and B) if any of you have gotten L.
cardinalis to make it in a medium-light, low-growth
environment. I do fertilize with 3 Flourishes: Excel,
K, and Fe, and perform 25% water changes weekly. Ph:
7.0-7.25, KH: 3-4, GH: 4-6. Thanks in advance!
Erin