Discouraging Words

Probably the most discouraging words that a would be aquatic gardener can
say is:
"the algae is back!"

After three years of fighting it I decided to start over, using what I had
learned the hard way, and do it right this time. But alas after three weeks
into the set-up the nasty algae has come back to haunt me.

Details:
54 gal tank
Ehiem 2215 Canister
Sea Storm 240 Biological Filter
CS Double Helix UV Sterilizer
Magnum 350 Micron (as needed)
CO2 Tank
TMG at 10 ml per week (half strength)
Daily addition of KH2PO4 and KNO3 (half tsp)
Weekly 50% water change

Plants:
Cabomba caroliniana
Java Fern
Hygrophila difformis
Pennywort
Crypt. wendtii

Fish:
SAE
Otocinclus
Clown Barbs
Gourami
Corydoras

Water Tests:
pH: 6.8
KH: 4.0
CO2: 18 ppm
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

I seem to be having to use a great deal of KNO3 to keep the nitrates above
zero. Should I replace my API Nitrate Test Kit?

To make the cheese more binding, I have a 25 gal tank that has been algae
free for two years. I have never added nutrients or CO2. There is some
laterite in the substrate. The plants grow slowly but they look good, and
require little maintenance.

Can someone tell me the reason for holding off on adding KNO3 until the day
following a water change?

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Regards
Bill Westbrook