Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 18:18:57 -0800
From: Matt Staroscik <matt at wrongcrowd_com>
Subject: Forget this low-light stuff... time to retrofit!

First, thanks for the many plant suggestions I received in response to my
last post. I'm looking forward to trying some new species in my dim 37g tank.

Second, I took a look around and found the "SmartLite" 55W retrofit kit
which will fit the Eclipse 3. It also looks easy to install, which is good,
because I am all thumbs. I am keen to make this work. More light is better!

Unfortunately, it comes with a bulb that is part 10000K and part actinic,
which I believe is intended for reef tanks.

http://www.customsealife.com/NewFiles/smartlite-retro.html

Does anyone know if it is possible to get this CustomSeaLife kit with a
bulb that is better suited to freshwater plants? They seem to have 5000K,
6700K and 8800K bulbs as well. Assuming it was possible to choose, which
would be best for freshwater plants?

http://www.customsealife.com/NewFiles/rlamps.html

I could always buy an extra bulb, but I'd rather not throw away the $ on
the sub-optimum reef light.

Thanks for the help!