[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: DIY CO2 problem



Cheryl,

I used to have a similiar problem on my 12 gallon tank everytime I switched
bottles.  I had to lower the water level on my tank by half an inch so more of
the CO2 would escape in the first day or two.  When I finally stopped using
baker's yeast (e.g. Fleischman's or other stuff you buy at the store) and used
champagne yeast (that you get at a home brewing/wine-making shop) those
problems have disappeared.  Champagne yeast stays nice and steady, and the
bottle lasts much longer since this type of yeast will stay alive longer in
alcohol and low pH (by-products of using yeast to make CO2).  You will also
have better results if you add 1/4 tsp of Baking Soda to your mix, to buffer
the pH of the solution.  I only use ~1/8 tsp. per 2-liter bottle so you don't
need a lot of champagne yeast.

Hope this helps,
Christine
christine.bennett at usa_nospam.net

****************************************
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:24:26 -0500
From: Cheryl Trine <ctrine at andrews_edu>
Subject: DIY CO2 problem

I recently (about 2 mo. ago) set up a DIY soda bottle-yeast reactor for
a 10 gal.  tank. But I sometimes have problems with wild pH swings when
I start a new bottle.  I started one yesterday and the ph went from 7.8
to 6.8 in less than 5 hours. My  fish definitely did not like it! I was
afraid I was going to lose a couple of them. After a 50 percent water
change, which raised the pH to 7.4 they perked up a bit, and didnít just
sit at the surface. So my question is, how do you control the rate of
CO2 addition to  the tank.

My tap water parameters:
pH 8.2-8.4
<1 dGH (it us run through a whole house watersoftener, other it is 16
DGH)
17 dKH

My mix was 2 cups sugar, 1/2 t. yeast, 3/4 bottle of water, which I
swirl altogether. I use warm water to get the yeast started.

My previous 2 bottles have  maintained it at about 7.8. My initial
bottle, I had problems with the wild pH swing  as well, but I didn't
have fish in it then, so it was not really a problem.

Thanks for the help.

Cheri