Java Fern too large! What can I do?

I am new to this planted aquaria hobby.  Just set up my first planted
tank 2 months ago, so I still have a lot to learn.

Yesterday I was given a huge Java Fern--about 14" tall, rhizome jumble
is a foot long.  I hoped to put it in a 10 gal. tank I am setting up,
but this is obviously to big, and I don't have any larger tank.  Can I
remove the leaves that are too tall, and they will be replaced with new,
smaller leaves (at least for a while)?  Will this be a constant battle?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Cheri