Re: greensand as substrate?

>A local salvage store has greensand for what seems to be a reasonable
>price.  I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about using greensand
>as an aquarium substrate.  Thanks.
>
>Chazz

The only greensand I am familiar with is used for casting (as in molten
metal casting). It's very fine and packs together, and I don't think it
would make a very good substrate. I suggest you get a sample and see what
you think of it before using it. If it is very fine and packs together than
a substrate made with it would gradually pack into a solid mass that plants
would not be able to easily root into.

         -Bill

Waveform Technology
UNIX Systems Administrator