Wet Leaves and Dry Leaves (was: Submergent/emergent)

last summer, I planted an Ozelot sword submerged in a pot of water
outside.  It actually produces at least 2 different submergent leaves.
One under the fluorescent lighting in the aquarium, and another in full
sunlight.  I believe it too stopped producing submergent leaves once it
had emergent leaves.  But it didn't produce leaves that came up out of
the water, they just floated, more like lilly pads.

I planted one of the plantlets in a pot, with no standing water, and put
it in a sunny windowsill, it grows a leaf type very similar to the
bright sunlight submergent leaf, only a little stiffer.  It's blooming too.