Re: Sodium Thiosulfate mixture (and Amquel comment)

> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:33:53 EST
> From: BobAlston9 at aol_com
> Subject: Sodium Thiosulfate mixture
>
> I am trying to finalize a recipe for using sodium thiosulfate to make my own
> chlorine remover.  I called the water company and know that they use plain
> old chlorine gas - not chloramine.  So sodium thiosulfate should work just
> fine.  Bought a pound locally for $7.00

Cheap, it is, but you still may have chloramines. "Amquel" and "Prime"
were developed and marketed well before the EPA mandated adding ammonia to
the water supply. Agricultural pollution provided enough to convert the
free chlorine to chloramines in many domestic water supplies.

On the mysterious failure of "Amquel" being discussed, I have an
interesting data point to add. A Friend in Fremont felt his Amquel was not
working, so I did a comparison between his and mine. Mine neutralized
chlorine and his did not. Best we could tell, he had bought a bottle of
plain water (tds was pretty revealing, as I recall).

Thinking an employee of the giant pet warehouse store probably was
stealing and diluting their product, he dutifully let Kordon (and J. F.
Kuhns) know about it. Their responses were so nasty that I have since quit
suggesting "Amquel" to folks. Instead of being grateful and offering to
replace the bottle, they vilified him and made all kinds of nasty
accusations that he was trying to malign their product. I was shocked at
such stupid behaviour toward a customer, to say the least.

[At least they didn't sue him! :-)]

Caveat emptor,

Wright

PS. One advantage the "Amquel" patent gives it over the competition is
that the basic ingredients are more long-term stable. It seems to last for
years in normal storage. Being "out-of-date" should be little problem.

--

                       www.sfbaka.net