Re: DIY sump

> > Is this thing with bioballs a novelty? and what are
> > they good for?
>
>Bacteria and good flow through, you can use anything with high surface
>area(Lava rocked etc).

I must add to the master's reply:

There is one other factor to consider, and that is the tendency of the
media you choose to clog. Depending on your tank conditions this may or may
not be a big problem, but remember that materials with smaller pore sizes
will clog more easily. Bioballs with their relatively large openings will
have less surface area but will also show very little tendency to clog.
Lava rock is basically a stone sponge, and while it will have *MUCH* more
surface area than the bioballs, it will also be much more prone to getting
clogged with gunk.

If you have very clean tank conditions and aren't expecting to have the
filter being exposed to any particulates then you should be OK with just
about any media. If you are going to have the filter exposed to
particulates (fish waste, etc.), then you may want to consider using a
media that is more easily cleaned and less likely to clog.

> > Are bigger balls better than smaller ones?
>
>Bigger balls are _always_ better than smaller balls.
>Smaller balls are embarrassing.
Haha. Can't say I would have expected this answer :-)

> > Can it be achieved
> > with other materials as well?
>
>Sure lava rock etc. Large gravel etc.
>High surface area and good even flow through.

Anything that won't react with the water. Most plastics should be safe,
especially polyethylene and polypropylene that aren't routinely doped with
anything. I recommending avoiding plastics that are colored RED, since
there is something in many of the red pigments used in plastics that
results in red versions of plastic things not getting NSF approval for food
use. I've seen lots of catalogs where all the colors of buckets are NSF
approved for food service use EXCEPT for the red ones. A good example is
the Rubbermaid "Brute" trash cans, where white, yellow, gray, and black are
NSF approved, but red is not. I'm not sure what the problem with the red
is, but I recommend avoiding red plastics in aquariums just to be safe.

         -Bill

***************************** Waveform Technology
UNIX Systems Administrator