Re: adding first layer laterite

I did it. I just mixed it with my hands into the gravel. It did make a mess
but it cleared after a bit. No problems with the filter. I mean it did turn
"orange" from the dust but no big deal it washed right out. Once I put it in
a did get a huge case of staghorn algae though. I wound up taking out the
laterite and replacing with flourite (which I like much better than
laterite). I also had to chemical bomb my tank to get rid of the algae.
Plants are doing good though and no sign of the algae anymore.

Hi,

I want to add "first layer laterite" to an established tank. API says that
it is possible , just add 1 oz per 4 litres to the gravel in the tank (40
oz in my case). What im worried about is the mess it will make. I will at
some point soon have a tank where i will not have any plants or decorations
in it but the fish will still be there (im doing a complete re-planting)

Is it possible to add the laterite with the fish in the tank or will the
'dustiness' harm them.

What about my filter, will this amount of muck clog up my filter and damage
it.

What about methods of mixing the gravel. Should i just mix the laterite and
gravel up uniformly or should i take a load of gravel out, mix the
laterite and remaining gravel and then replace a layer of gravel on the top.

Hope someone here can help me.